Education and school activities

I believe that more should be done in terms of educating children at school about things such as recycling, the importance of animals to the environment and being more energy efficient.

I find that a lot of pollution and littering is caused by the carelessness and lack of awareness of people and implementing a system in education to teach people to be more eco friendly will decrease the likelihood of this being the case in the younger generations. Perhaps doing it in a way that gets children involved in fun activities could get them to like it, consider it more and accept it as something that is important. This is more of a long term solution as understandably so, it would be quite difficult to completely catch the attention of students and have it work immediately.

Another school related idea would be to implement environment-benefitting systems such as a recycling system or school events to help contribute to the fight against climate change, be it physical help (cleaning litter) or financial help (donating money to a charity or to a cause related to this).

At Victoria College, we haven't really got a recycling system aside from the occasional paper recycling bin and this is something I definitely want to bring up. I'm not exactly sure how it is in other schools but I believe it should be implemented into every school and people should be told how to use it properly.

Of course, I am still a student so I don't know as much about how such implementation would work, but I definitely think something should be done about this.

Why the contribution is important

I think my idea is important because it gets to the roots of why certain people don't know or don't care about climate change and pollution: a certain lack of education on the topic.

At a young age is when people have the strongest ability to learn and being able to teach our youth about this huge yet overlooked threat at that age is fundamental in raising a generation of forward thinking and aware individuals that can truly make a difference. The world's future is in their hands at a time like this and without action, it is on track to get a lot worse.

by WojtekWiecek on February 01, 2021 at 09:33PM

Current Rating

Average rating: 4.2
Based on: 5 votes

Comments

• Posted by Fleur February 02, 2021 at 11:24

I agree, it is surprising that there is not more in the curriculum regarding climate change, the causes and actions that can be taken. Educating children is vital. I know there is some education and some recycling in Jersey schools but it is not emphasised enough in my opinion.
  • Posted by Fleur February 02, 2021 at 11:31

I also feel children should learn the implications of their diet on the climate. They can then recommend choices to their families, such as reducing meat consumption and alternatives.
  • Posted by AmeL February 02, 2021 at 12:28

There are possibilities for Climate change to enhance the current curriculum. The UN learning platform has modules that can be accessed to learn about climate change as a secondary student or as an educator.

When it comes to learning about the impact of food and climate change there is a recently published book that's called food without the hot air that compare different mealtimes and their effect on climate change. A way to get students to look at that is to create a diary as to where all their food has come from and try and calculate the airmiles that food has travelled.

I feel that children are concerned about the impact of climate change and it is important for them to understand what they can do to help rather than feel that they must be responsible as climate change anxiety in young people is also developing in the current climate.

If every single person makes a few small changes these can all add up.

• Posted by AmeL February 02, 2021 at 12:45

I also feel it is not just the education of our young people that is important but perhaps everyone?
  • Posted by TKHathaway February 02, 2021 at 20:17

As a young 30 something, who grew up in Jersey, I can certainly say I feel I received a good education in respect of humanity's impact on the planet (If I didn't why would I be taking an interest in posting here?).

While it might be easy to say 'more education' is needed, I would probably assert, nearly all of us know about climate change in the general sense, and most of us can think of at least 1 or 2 things we could personally do to help reduce out personal impact on the planet.

However consciously knowing, doesn't help about all the subconscious things that we might be doing.

Most litter probably doesn't come from people 'knowingly throwing things on the floor' but probably more from accidental drops, or forgetting to take something home with them, or putting it in the bin.

Knowing about cows producing methane that can act as a greenhouse gas, doesn't really help when biologically you are salivating over a beef burger or rump steak that evolution has told your taste buds is a very good source of nutrition, and you really want to eat it.

Being aware that cars and planes product CO2 doesn't help when you also want (or need) next day delivery from Amazon, or need to get to work on time to make a living.

'Consciously knowing about an issue' isn't going to stop that issue from being a problem. All it does is make people worry about it it being an issue, harming peoples mental health and just creating 'another issue for society'.

What we need is an education system that focuses on solutions to humanities problems. Fostering a 'can do' attitude.

We do not need an education system that only tells the story of humanity's 'rape of planet earth' and makes us all sad and melancholy for what has been lost and killing out spirit in the process.

I would say that best education model we could promote is one that focuses on science, technology and geography (both human and physical), so that we can measure our impacts objectively, understand the cause and effect, and then develop the solutions to break the cycles of negative causes, and promotes the positive ones.

My generation is and will need to pick up on beginning fixing the issues created by climate change, but our children will have to pick up the mantle of global overpopulation, cleaning up marine plastic pollution, and beginning to recycle rare earth minerals from the landfills of the last century. These may be some of 'tomorrows problems', and we need to be preparing our children to tackle those issues as well, not just making them experts in the ones of today.

We shall not progress as a species and our duty of care to all life on earth by moralizing over our collective navels and cutting back on what we have, instead we need to look to the horizon, and ask 'is there something over there that we can use instead to fix our problems?'
  • Posted by RoseAnne February 09, 2021 at 16:50

I agree with many of the comments. Knowing about the problems is useful to a point, but it tends to make people feel guilty/helpless so they just carry on as before. Recycling is really a last resort, I agree that we needt odo a lot more in Jersey, and there need to be recycling bins everywhere instead of only rubbish bins. People need to know what to do in their everyday lives to help - it has to feel easy, mainstream, and positive. Telling people not to fly, drive, eat meat and dairy, or buy so many new things without information about viable and enjoyable alternatives will just feel as if you are being told off.
Log in or register to add comments and rate ideas

Idea topics