Restrictions on supermarkets plastic bags

I strongly believe that should be extreme restrictions o the use of plastic in shops. Many times even there is more weight in plastic from the package than the actual product we buying.

Personally I avoid buying things with plastic package,and sadly some products got no choice.

Why the contribution is important

Because could easily reduce the amount of plastic daily by tons. And reduce the carbon dioxide.

by Joseremesso on February 01, 2021 at 09:19PM

Current Rating

Average rating: 4.2
Based on: 10 votes

Comments

• Posted by AmeL February 02, 2021 at 12:43

I agree, the amount of plastic wrap used in supermarkets is not always necessary.

When cooking the amount of plastic just from a simple meal at times can be ridiculous. Do I need my tomatoes to be in a plastic container and then wrapped in plastic? Do I need my courgettes bagged in 2s r 3s wrapped in plastic- where they inevitably develop condensation on the packet at some point in their transport journey.
    My cucumber doesn't need to be plastic wrapped- in fact i think this may even reduce its shelf life?
    Why does everything have to come in tonnes of plastic? Maybe in light of our pandemic- it may help reduce transmission but im sure in the times gone by people just washed their veg before using it?

• Posted by Wanderlust100 February 02, 2021 at 17:55

Greenpeace have released new data on how different Supermarkets have addressed the issue.

Not great reading..
  • Posted by Jerriaisjanne February 02, 2021 at 18:21

A difficulty we have on this in the island is that most of our food is imported with all the plastic packaging already on it! Introducing a plastics levy would therefore not solve the problem, but instead create a problem of higher prices. The only way therefore to tackle this is to engage with our UK partners in reducing the plastic use at source and engaging with our local retailers (Coop, Sandpiper, Alliance and Waitrose, as well as independent stores) to see if they can source products from more sustainable sources and encourage their suppliers to do the same.

One thing that is good is the new Refill station at Grand Marché St Helier. But the island should be taking steps to stop people buying bags for life every time they shop. Maybe encouraging stores to have a "drop your (still usable) bags back to get your money back" so bags will be recycled. This needs to be done at every store who sell plastic bags.

Another thing is ensuring all online local delivery services are using sustainable packaging and delivery protocols!
  • Posted by BigAirport February 02, 2021 at 18:31

I totally agree most food has too much plastic packaging but lets look at supermarket plastic bags.
    Are these single use? I was taught by my parents never to throw away a plastic bag from the shop in the late 1960's as it had a myriad of uses. Use it for shopping again, rubbish bag, cover your feet in wet weather, put tools in it, keep spare clothing dry in rain. I must admit using it as a rubbish bag is the primary second use. So why say they are single use as they are certainly not. The only single use plastic bags are nappy bags, for disposable nappies. But don't start me on that one I could write a book about the evils of those items of ubiquitous modern life.
  • Posted by TKHathaway February 02, 2021 at 19:39

In terms of plastic bags, given that we have so many plant based fiber alternatives these days, I'm not really sure, other than in convivence and cost terms, why in general we haven't already moved to asking supermarkets to only sell biodegradable shopping bags. Period.

I think in general such woven fabrics, paper and plant based polymers do have a higher energy and resource cost of production (although I could be mistaken), however the primary benefit is that they breakdown naturally over time, rather than persist for decades, if not centuries, slowly breaking down into microplastics that then get into the food chain causing untold harms.

All that said, I do not think 'plastic shopping bags' are the biggest issue for me...

...I also agree with the comment of that there is far too much plastic on food packaging. Especially when it comes to fruit and veg... and it is nearly always single use plastic as well. Whenever I open the bin, half the time it feels like this plastic food packaging is the only thing I put in it!

However I also recognize, short of banning imports of such food or taxing supermarkets on their product packaging, I believe there is little Jersey can do here, other than perhaps taking an international approach with the UK and France and similar to collectively reduce the amount of plastic packaging waste.

I think 'banning imports' isn't all that wise, since it likely shall have all manner of unintended consequences, from food hygiene, to restricted consumer choice and more. But I would like to see particularly our larger chain supermarkets; Iceland, Waitrose, Co-op thinking a little more about the impact of their product selection, and taking real action to source their products from suppliers who are opting for more biodegradable packaging and trying to make a concerted effort in this regards - perhaps they are - I just don't see it on the shelves.

Perhaps a way to tackle this, is by a quarterly 'ranking' of the supermarkets by various, shall we say, 'ethical approaches', such as volume of fairtrade sales, estimated volume of plastic packaging to incinerator, did this product come from sustainable fish stocks etc. and thus the so called 'ethical consumer' can adjust their purchasing patterns to suit by having trading standards produce a list of the 'worst and the best'.

Whatever the solution is, care needs to be taken, in that we are not simply forcing supermarkets to transfer the cost to the consumer. The price of food is often quite high in Jersey for the average person. Therefore I believe policy makers need to work with supermarkets to help adjust their product purchasing choices, rather than just taking an adversarial approach.
  • Posted by PirateZebedee February 03, 2021 at 19:36

Remove the use of unnecessary packaging from fruit and veg.

For example you can purchase loose lemons however supermarkets have started selling 4 lemons on a plastic tray in plastic packaging.

However sometimes plastic packaging can increase the life of fruit and veg for example Turnips.
  • Posted by nataliemayer February 07, 2021 at 16:13

We are so far behind Europe on this. 20 years ago in Austria there were no bags on the check out (even for 10p). If we consistently know we won’t be able to get a plastic one, it will be second nature to remember.
Log in or register to add comments and rate ideas

Idea topics